Sunday, June 20, 2010

China's Cultural Quirks

As recorded by a 外国人 waiguo ren (foreigner). I will be adding to the list periodically.

1. "His" & "Her" shirts.
Ok, if I'm ever allowed to use "I can't," it's right here. Couples with matching shirts are everywhere. I've seen matching striped polos, cartoon T-shirts, and even "His" and "Hers" fitted shirts with their names emblazoned on.
2. Exoskeletal creature-on-a-stick
Beetles, Seahorses, Scorpions, Starfish... they kebab it all.


3. Drinking anything but water
This is probably because China does not seem to have a particularly good water sanitation infrastructure, or unleaded pipes. They also firmly believe that hot tea is good for you, regardless of the outside temperature. Either way, I miss the easy access I get to a cold glass of water in the States.

4. The squat toilet (separate post forthcoming)
I cannot even begin to explain the awkwardness surrounding a Western woman's attempts at adapting to the squat toilet. Add to that the fact that she has to carry around her own tissue to use, followed by the fact that few, if any, restrooms provide soap for hand washing afterwards, and you get an altogether uncomfortable experience.

5. "Nebraska" caps sold right alongside "New York" caps
Nothing against Nebraska (after all, I live there) but I don't really see why any Chinese person would pay to have a hat that bears the state's name. Maybe in China the Midwest is exotic? Whatever the reason, it was a very jarring experience walking down the street and seeing a local vendor selling Nebraska caps.

6. Street-side pet stops
Oh my goodness. OH MY GOODNESS. It's an animal-lover's paradise. Since the street vendors are looking to make a sale, they let you hold the pets all you want to tempt you to take them home. You can hold little chicks and other fuzzy things, and PUPPIES!! They're so cute!!!!

more to come...

2 comments:

  1. Bahaha

    Not to laugh at your misfortunes or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha so I also have moved to china, and wow is it different. This post made me laugh! I have experienced all the same things!

    ReplyDelete