Tuesday, August 10, 2010

家常便饭?

-
家常便饭 - jiācháng biànfàn
-
Roughly translated, this little idiom means "home cooking, simple meal," or at least that's what our textbook tells us. I'll admit, I haven't really done as well as I could have at assimilating to Chinese cuisine. It's actually pretty delicious once you become accustomed to it, but I realized I was just too used to the American style of eating a variety of food from all over the world. So I might have missed out on the whole "home cooking, simple meal" aspect of Chinese food. Here, in pictures, are some of my eating experiences in Beijing, and yes, Binh Doan, this is (almost) entirely for you.

中文桌子 - Chinese Table (part of HBA)

my portion

pastry :)

East meets West

yet another 中文桌子

brunch at Sculpting in Time Café

北京烤鸭!Beijing Roast Duck!

pizza on the 4th of July

snacks at the 京剧表演 (Beijing Opera performance)

cooking our own shrimp and onions
at a street-side "restaurant"

Tim's Texas BBQ <3

Crepes at 三里屯!

Grandma's Kitchen, correctly billed as
a little piece of the Midwest in Beijing

meat skewers at BananaFish
along with...
FLAN. SUCH GOOD FLAN.

cooking our own meat on this glass thing

the less authentic, much closer Grandma's Kitchen

Natalee's enchilada pic turned 
out better than my fajita pic

Caterpillar Roll + some tofu on the side

amazingly cheap, amazingly delicious street food
(chicken, beef, squid, eggplant, green pepper, small buns)

self-explanatory

Chinese fast food

Korean fast(ish) food

fried scorpion

me considering said fried scorpion

me eating said fried scorpion

me realizing said fried scorpion's tail
might have pricked my tongue

-
that's all for now :)
-

1 comment:

  1. Food posts are always such torture for me. By the way, well done eating the scorpion!

    ReplyDelete