Monday, October 25, 2010

A Family of Yalies

So it's a late night again, and what do we do on late nights? We reflect. This time, maybe not so much about China-the-big-picture, but rather China-as-experienced-by-one-foreign-student. It's no secret that studying abroad can be a lonely, isolating experience. You're transplanted to an entirely new environment and forced to deal with an alien culture. You go through highs and lows, depending on your experiences at any given point. Sometimes it's almost too much to deal with and you just want to... oh, I don't know, get yourself deported.

But luckily enough for me, I ended up studying abroad with a fantastic group of Yalies. I mean, look at them, don't they look pretty awesome?

Seriously, though. Who would have thought a random group of eight Yale students could have become such a tight-knit bunch? I admit, when I heard that the Yale-PKU group for my semester only had seven other students enrolled, I panicked a little bit. I complained to Kaitlyn (multiple times), "What if no one gets along? What if I don't feel close to any of them?" Two months into the program, I can say my worries were so, so unfounded. Now I can't imagine any other group composition but ours. We're the perfect size; everyone is friends with everyone, and there is always someone up for doing whatever activity it is you think is absolutely vital to your life at that precise moment. 

I have a group of friends back at Yale that I have always casually referred to as my "Yale family." They're the best friends anyone could ever ask for, and I miss them terribly. I really didn't think I would get the same sense of feeling part of such a very intimate dynamic. But being holed up in the same hallways, sharing the same experiences and overcoming the same obstacles in China has led my little Yale-in-Beijing contingent to have the same kind of intimacy. There is very much a sense of family, so much so that there is an official momma and poppa of the group. 

To be honest it's actually due to this "family" that I have had many of my more interesting, more illuminating experiences in China. From understanding Chinese business customs to social habits to random sporting events, my knowledge of what it means to know China has expanded due to them. It also helps that we're taking most of the same classes, so there is a sort of support network when it comes to taking on classes. Didn't understand the reading? Someone can help explain. Overslept? Someone will notice and call you to get you to class. Big test coming up? Class notes are being exchanged all over the place. One of the best things is that we share a fundamental interest, and that's China. One of the second best things is that we don't share a lot of interests, so we don't get bored with each other.

Studying abroad is guaranteed to form strong friendships, if only due to the phenomenon of triumph in the face of adversity and whatnot, but I think there is something incredibly special about the group that came together here in Beijing, and I am so, so thankful to be a part of it.

--------------------
I know, I know, this was really sappy. But seriously, this group of people has played an incredible role in making my semester in Beijing an unforgettable experience, and I felt it important to recognize that role. Love y'all!

6 comments:

  1. and you just wanted to write another post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will have you know that i have been pondering this post for a full THREE TO FOUR days, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I wanted to ask: Could I share your blogs with potential Light Alum PKU applicants? I'm about to suggest to Light Alums that they take a very close look at the program, and your blogs offer great insights on the shape of things there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    I'm a sophomore at Yale and the Travel Administrator for Yale Travel Services. We are designing a flyer to send out to the Yale community about getting travel discounts and we'd like to use this photo on the flyer. Would you be willing to give us permissions?

    Kindly let me know.

    ReplyDelete