Sunday, July 18, 2010

内蒙古: Complaining

Monday, 10:06 PM, in bed @ Westlake Hotel

All I did today was ride in a bus. Like that’s actually all I did. Aside from a two hour period around noon where I helped interview two families, I honestly just sat in my seat on the bus. It was a long day. Unfortunately, I had the bad luck of being on the sunny side, in the morning AND afternoon! How does that work? Add to that our winding path through the hills and bumpy trek through dirt roads, and you have a very uncomfortable experience. Don’t forget that I haven’t showered in three days and haven’t had a full nutritional meal in… forever (or at least that’s what it feels like).

Our interview location:


I miss home so much. For some reason I keep thinking about home, about my family and friends. I think about what I left behind in Nebraska, about what I’m missing at Yale come fall. I think about my parents and siblings; I think about the “family” I have at school.  When did this become a diary? I was just keeping notes for my blog. Maybe loneliness does that to you; it gives you too much time to reflect. Whenever I go to new and distant places, I’m always with my family (with the exception of Australia). But here, I’m truly alone. In the middle of Inner Mongolia, I have no method of communication with the people that I love. It’s an incredibly isolating experience. Wow, what did we do before cell phones and internet? Strange to think about.

I don’t know. All I know is I miss home so much, more than ever, and I’m tired of fighting against the current of Chinese culture. This must be that “low point” that the Light Fellowship staff warned us about, which means (hopefully) it can only get better from here. I’m going to have to devise a better strategy.

This was a very whiny day and night for me. Luckily, it did get better from there.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you very much as well but know that you are growing by leaps and bounds. You are past the midway mark and it is downhill from here. Your experiences will do nothing but make you stronger, smarter and appreciative of the blessings that come your way. We love you and will talk to you very soon. Daddy

    ReplyDelete