Friday, July 2, 2010

Pandas.

And other animals, I suppose. And people too, like Binh Doan. But we'll save that subject for another time. This blog is all about the pandas.

Today was our epic trip to the 北京动物园 Beijing Dongwuyuan (Beijing Zoo). Amazingly, the actual process of getting to the zoo was quick and uneventful, even though our independent excursion crew totaled nine people. The Beijing subway system is incredibly efficient and user-friendly. For 2 kuai (about 27¢) you can take the subway anywhere. About twenty minutes and four stops after entering the subway station, we were buying our 20 kuai ($3) tickets to enter the zoo plus the panda enclosure (without panda access, the cost is 15 kuai, or a little over $2).


Of course, the Panda Enclosure was literally the first thing we ran into as we entered the zoo.
It was actually a set of two large panda enclosures and a row of several smaller exhibits for other interesting animals that somehow relate to pandas (...like peacocks). One thing's for certain: the people in charge are milking the world's fascination with pandas for all they can. One friend was able to buy panda earmuffs to wear at Yale in the winter.

The pandas themselves, however, do not seem to be aware of expectations of their audience. Several were blissfully napping the day away, one was cutely eating bamboo, and one looked like he just got out of a Harvard Beijing Academy 考试 kaoshi (test).

Said pandas, respectively:
Note: for any picture posted on my blog, just click to see the enlarged image




That's not to say that I didn't glean any new knowledge from visiting the pandas. In fact, I was very thoroughly informed as to their lifestyle, reproductively speaking.






But of course, pandas weren't all we found at the zoo. I also found... BINH DOAN!!!! I'm so lucky to have one of my best friends here in Beijing with me, one who's even going through the same struggles I am. Of course, she's already made a great friend in her program; my HBA friend and I got to hang out with them today as we explored the zoo and then later, Houhai. Alas, that is for another entry.

During our time in the zoo, I got to see quite a few exotic animals, aside from the giant panda. There were red pandas, unusual fowl, ducks (not exotic, but really cute), lemurs, a hippo, a zebra, and lots of lions and tigers (no bears). There was also a large collection of nocturnal primates that I had never encountered; some of them honestly reminded me of aliens.

Red Panda, or "dead raccoon," as labeled by a fellow student

I don't even know.

That self-important lemur from Madagascar

The first hippo I've seen standing on land


Ashok Chandran, according to Binh Doan

It was a pleasant surprise seeing so many new and different animals at the Beijing Zoo. I honestly didn't expect it, but Beijing (kind of) has their act together. I hadn't realized the incredible diversity of China's wildlife, so seeing so many fascinating animals made me realize that China has more than just pandas. Now, I'd love to say that seeing these new and interesting animals was the highlight of my epic zoo time, but let's be honest, for me at least, it was all about the pandas.

1 comment: